July 5, 2012

June highlight reel

June was a busy month full of new experiences. I moved to the center of Trondheim about 4 weeks ago so I've been settling into my new place and getting to know the neighborhood. It's a great place to stroll around and in the fall it will only take 10 minutes to walk to school instead of a 15 minute bus ride. I'm enjoying the long daylight hours and spending time with many great people. Here's a recap of some memorable June events:


My friend Karla threw a Mexican Fiesta (complete with homemade pinata) to celebrate the end of the school year. If there's one thing I miss over here, it's real Mexican food. I told Karla that I wanted to help her with the preparations and learn how to make Mexican food. Little did I know I would be left in charge of the main dish for 45 people...

Karla and her fajita protege

14 kg (31 lb) of steak

Karla had a lot of stuff to take care of for the party so while she ran around I improvised and cooked up a mass of meat, onions, and peppers that ended up being pretty tasty. I think I did alright because since then, wherever we are, Karla has proudly told people that I made the fajitas for the party all by myself.

Let's eat!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was honored to be invited to a special birthday dinner party for my relatives, Jon and Ingrid. It was a great night of food, conversation, laughter, and meeting family friends and more of my relatives!



Skål! (Cheers)

Delicious homemade desserts:


Strawberry sorbet

Cheesecake and krumkake

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St. Hansaften (June 23) marks the longest day of the year, a good time to get together and laugh in the face of the long dark winter you made it through. We celebrated in the traditional way with a bonfire on the beach. The sun set a little after 11:30pm, giving us plenty of time to enjoy the warm night and lots of good treats. Good friends and great scenery, that's what Norway is all about!


Norwegian berries


Norwegian s'mores


 Rannveig and Agneta




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that gives you an idea of what I've been up to lately. Summer is going by fast but I'm determined to make the most of it. Have to get out and see more while the sun shines!


No comments: