July 30, 2012

Adventures in language: Progress report

I don't get to grade myself, but if I did I'd say I feel like I've graduated to a new level in Norwegian this summer. I've noticed recently that I'm translating to English in my head less and less and conversations are happening without as much lag time (where I have to think about what my response is going to be). There's always the odd word that flies by me ungrasped and some dialects are more difficult than others. But it is exhilarating to sit around the table with family or friends and not just follow the conversation, but contribute and interact, like a real person! That certainly wasn't the case on my previous trips to Norway.


I'm even keeping up with people my age and younger way better than just a few months ago. No offense to older people, but it's one thing to have a normal conversation with them and it's a whole nother to have one with younger people. They speak faster, are less proper, and tend to switch to English quickly when you don't understand (or even if you do understand, because they want to speak English).


A couple weeks my Norwegian teacher from home led a group tour through Norway and stopped in Trondheim for a couple days. I wouldn't be where I am with Norwegian today if I didn't learn the basics in his class before I came here. I was really excited to visit with him and speak some Americanized Norwegian together. It was a great reunion, especially since Ed was the first person I've seen from "home" in about a year!


 Yes, of course Norwegian class was always this much fun


I have to admit, though, I was a little disappointed we didn't speak more Norwegian together while Ed was here. When we got ice cream cones one afternoon, Ed ordered in English. I was surprised because he knows the language so well and is perfectly capable of ordering in Norwegian. If you're here, why not the use the language? I asked him and he said it was because he wanted his wife (who doesn't understand much Norwegian) to know what was going on. Fair enough, but I thought that was kind of a lame reason not to engage in the language when you are doing something as simple as ordering ice cream.


About a month ago I passed a placement exam for Norwegian Level 3 (out of 4) in the fall. I want to take advantage of the opportunity to get formal teaching so I hope I have time to take the class alongside my Master's project. It's fun to feel the progress I'm making and to know I have (at least) another year to get better. Cheers to that!

No comments: