March 1, 2012

Take that, Zurich!

Nothing's cheap in Norway, except cell phone plans, for some odd reason. But cheap and expensive are such relative terms and I was starting to blame the continual sticker shock on my skewed American perception of the way things should be. Since Norwegians are mostly well adjusted and well equipped to deal with the prices, I feel like a wimp at times, like I'm the crazy one for thinking five dollars is a tad too much to pay for half a gallon of milk. 


Today I'm happy to report that I'm not alone. My disbelief is now (somewhat) justified because, according to some people who did something with numbers, Trondheim is the world's most expensive city. I'm feeling pretty vindicated right about now. I have no idea how credible numbeo.com is and this ranking is from early January, so things have shifted since then, but how crazy is it that Trondheim is #1? I mean, seriously, come on! I don't mean to complain as much as I mean to point out the hilarity that someone as thrifty as I am has freely chosen to live here. 


By the way, I am applying for summer jobs in Stavanger, Norway, apparently the second most expensive city in the world. Will no one slap some sense into me?

No comments: