March 27, 2012

Spring has sprung!

At least in Oslo... the sun is out and blåveis are in full bloom:


I don't know about Trondheim, though overcast and raining is a safe bet. I'm in Oslo for a few days before I leave for Croatia to go on a mission trip with a group of students from Trondheim. We're flying out of Oslo on Thursday so I decided to head down early to relax a little and visit relatives. And boy, did I pick a good time to skip school because it's basically summer down here!

Today was warm and beautiful so my cousin Kirsten and I had a lovely walk down to and around the water. Thankfully I packed sunscreen but I should have brought shorts too.



All I needed to do to find the sun and beach
was get down to Oslo. Who knew?


Now I'm not Oslo's biggest fan, but there are a few things I like about it. One is how it reminds me of a miniature Seattle with all the water and boats. Another thing I like is the Viking Ship Museum. I've been before but decided to go again yesterday with some friends who were also visiting. For a student price of 35NOK ($6) you get to gawk at well-preserved, real-life viking ships, so yeah, definitely worth seeing again.



Viking ship = instant manliness

The museum has lots of other viking artifacts too and what I find most impressive are the intricate designs carved into everything. Maybe they had nothing better to do on those long voyages to the New World.

Typical wagon decorations? I dunno...

So that's about all that's going on right now. When back in Trondheim I'm trying to keep up with school, applying for summer jobs, and certainly enjoying the days as they get longer and lighter. It's mostly just normal life but I'm still thrilled to be spending it in Norway.

No comments: