December 21, 2011

If you thought I was white before...


...just wait until I survive a Norwegian winter. You will probably need sunglasses to behold me. Or I'll be so translucent you can see right through me.

It’s a little dark here, to say the least. Tomorrow is the shortest day of the year and then the days get longer again. I can hardly wait. Sunrise in Trondheim today was 10:01am and sunset was 2:31pm. That’s 4.5 hours of “daylight”. When the sun is up for that short a time it doesn’t get very high in the sky, so often in the evening it doesn’t feel like it’s been day at all. But I shouldn’t complain, the very north of Norway gets no daylight at all this time of year.

When it first started to get really dark, I found myself looking for sunlight wherever I could find it. If I was walking and my side of the street was in a shadow but the other side was in the sun, I crossed the street just to be in sunshine for a few more seconds during the day. And if the sun came through a window, I would stand at the window, just soaking it in. Kind of pathetic, but I really missed the sun for a couple weeks.

Lately the sun hasn’t been up high enough to create shadows or come through windows. It’s just not there. And I’ve kind of gotten used to it, just another thing that was very strange at first that I’ve adjusted to. I am starting to understand the Norwegian obsession with being out in the sun during the summer. Short winter days must make the long summer days that much better. Until then, I’ll take my vitamin D and dream of getting a sunburn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine having a mere 4.5 hours of daylight! Makes me appreciate the somewhat bleak Seattle winter days--at least we have more than 4.5 hours of light! Glad to hear that you're hanging in there though :)

-Meara