September 11, 2011

My Humble Abode

Today you’ll get a glimpse into the place I call “home” in Trondheim. I live in a student housing block in a neighborhood south of the school and city center. Right now my room is the cleanest any of my bedrooms have ever been or probably ever will be, so I thought I’d let you have a look-see.

The building I live in is like a mix between a dorm and an apartment. It’s like a dorm because I share amenities with other students but it’s like an apartment because we don’t live two to a room on a hall with 30 other people. In my block, three people share each unit, including a kitchen and bathroom. I share my unit with a guy and another girl, who I’ll introduce to you later. Here is what you see when you walk in our front door:

There’s a large open space past the entryway that you can't really call a living room. I'm not sure what to call it, it's just there. Turning left takes you through our "living room" and into the kitchen:




Then you have this series of red doors:
Behind one of them is a man-eating tiger…

Actually, the toilet and shower (in separate rooms) are on the left and two bedrooms are on the right. A tad utilitarian, but not bad for student housing.

My bedroom:

You better believe I have a batphone.

The personal sink is a much-appreciated feature.

Where I sat to write this post.

The view from my window:
No fjord, unfortunately.

The back side of the housing block:
 One of those windows is mine!

If you walk up the hill behind my building you get a pretty nice view of Trondheim:


I like our location and I think the housing here has a good balance between privacy and community. Before I arrived I wasn’t sure what my living situation would be because you sign up for a room through the school and they put you wherever they want to. All things considered, it turned out well. It’s nice to have my own room and be done with the days of communal bathrooms.  It’s also good to be near other students and learn to live with new people.  Though I'm happy with it, thinking about living here for two years is a little strange. But it works for now, and it's also one of the only places I can afford!

5 comments:

Alex Gardner said...

YES! I love the red doors. What a home!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing your room! The new Norwegian flag looks very special and what a good size! I would like to peek inside your closet! haha Mom xox

Anonymous said...

I'd say that's a pretty cool setup, way better than any dorm I've ever seen. --Jason

Kathleen said...

It's a lot better than any dorm I've seen in the USA. They treat students less like cattle and more like people here.

Glad you got some comments to work!

Jason said...

Treat students more like people, hey...? Well it's definitely a controversial approach, but I'm glad you're liking it!