September 18, 2011

Family makes the difference

I was thinking about how smoothly my inter-continental move and transition to life in Norway has gone so far. A big reason for that is my Norwegian family.  They are incredibly helpful and gracious, and a lot of fun to be around. Despite being distant relatives, they all treat me like one of their own. I was fortunate to see many of them in different cities during the 10 days I was in Norway before I moved into my dorm.

After flying from Krakow (I promise you’ll hear more about Poland at some point) to Oslo, I was met by my 3rd cousin, Mari, and her husband, Ole Kristian. They were kind enough to let me crash on their couch for a few nights even though they were both busy with work, school, and prep for an upcoming wedding. While staying with them I got to enjoy the beautiful Oslo fjord and visit the site of the July 22nd bombing. More on that later.

Mari and Ole Kristian

I hitched a ride with Mari to Jevnaker, her hometown and where her parents, Knut and Inger, live. I’d stayed at their house before so it was fun to be somewhere familiar, and see how it had changed. One major change was little Hans Ludvig, Mari and OK’s son. He was "on vacation" at grandma and grandpa's house. Though a little apprehensive at first, he eventually warmed up to me. We had lots of fun, at home and out and about. I thought I’d seen it all in Jevnaker, but Knut and Inger showed me new places, like a longhouse from the Iron Age (pre-vikings!).

Knut and Inger


  fast friends!

Knut and Inger also fed me especially well.  They joked that I had to eat meat and lots of it now, because it’s too expensive to buy on my own. And that's kind of true... 

So much meat for just three people!

Inger’s mother, Malene, lives up the street from her and Knut. We had a cake and coffee party at Malene’s house and all four of her daughters were there. I think that only happens a few times a year. We ate delicious fyrstekake and krumkake made by Malene and I was reunited with some young cousins.

Malene's tasty creations


Malene and her daughters: Inger, Randi, Bjorg, and Astrid


Bjorg's daughters: Kaja, Tuva, and Ida

Before I left Jevnaker I received several gifts, including hand-knit wool socks and hand-me-down pots and pans for my kitchen. I took the train from Oslo to Trondheim and was picked up from the station by Torgrim, my 3rd cousin. His parents, Jon and Ingrid, hosted me during my first days in Trondheim, before I could move into my dorm. They live super close to school and the city center, an added bonus since I had a bunch of errands to run and stuff to do at school. They lent me some bedding for my room and Jon took me to IKEA one day to buy other necessities. Torgrim also handily fashioned me a new ethernet cable. As if all that wasn't enough, a few weeks ago Jon and Ingrid let my parents mail a giant box to their address. Jon picked the 60lb behemoth up from the post office, drove it to my building, and carried it up the stairs. I certainly didn’t do anything to deserve all the generosity I’ve been shown here. The warm welcome from all of my relatives helps Norway feel more like home.

3 comments:

Jordanecdotes said...

That's amazing! Glad to hear you are having such a wonderful time!

Alex Gardner said...

Ahhh Jevnaker!! I love it! That cake and coffee party sounds amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

Of course, I cried when I read it and saw the wonderful pictures of those wonderful relatives (I am sure you will feature of photo of Jon, Ingrid and Torgrim Wullum at a later date, when available).

oxox Mom