March 3, 2013

Norwegian superiority in unexpected places

It is a well known fact (right?) that Norway is the best country in the world. There's the United Nations numbers and standard of living blah blah blah ...does all that even matter? What does it really mean to be excellent? How does that play out in everyday life? Why is Norway better than your country, wherever you are, and why is this the best place on earth to live? I'll tell you why: The Norwegian Birthday Song.

Now, if you'll allow me to explain. I am proud American. But I know when we've been bested. Let's face it, "Happy Birthday" is more of a durge than a celebration song. But after years of dealing with it, what I didn't realize was there are other choices available. And I don't mean just translating "Happy Birthday" into the language of your choice. There are other, unique birthday songs sung in other parts of the world. In my opinion, the Norwegian birthday song is head and shoulders above any other one out there. I don't even need to hear the rest, I know I've found the best. Obsessed with the best... I'm sounding like an American again, aren't I?

The point being! The Norwegian birthday song is fun to sing and even more fun to have sung to you. It is much less awkward than "Happy Birthday," which gives the birthday boy or girl about 20 seconds to self-consciously half-smile and bob to the slow beat and think of a wish while everyone stares at you. In contrast, the Norwegian song has a upbeat melody and lyrics with meaning, and more than six words. Once it begins you know you are celebrating someone instead of wondering if you're sending them to an untimely death.

OK, I'm done trying to explain it, you just have to hear it to understand. I had a birthday recently and so got the pleasure of having this delightful tune directed at me. I wanted to record the whole thing but alas, my friends were too fast so I only caught the last half of the song. You get the idea, at least!



Just try and tell me that didn't put a smile on your face.

The lyrics were written about 100 years ago, so its old, but it still works. Here's my best English translation: 

Hooray for you, the one who has completed your year!
Yes, it's you we congratulate!
We all stand around you in a circle
and look, now we're marching!
Bowing, nodding, curtseying, turning ourselves around,
dancing for you with hops and leaps and bounds!
With heartfelt wishes for all good things,
tell me, what else could you want?
Congratulations!

Pretty good, huh? Seriously though, I never (see below for exception) want to hear "Happy Birthday" again, so everyone back home better start the Norwegian version. I know when we've been outdone and trust me, fellow Americans, this is one of those times.

Bonus material:
I will gladly listen to "Happy Birthday" as sung by a small child, especially a relative! My two-year old nephew sang to me (after first singing to his baby sister, haha) over Skype on my birthday. Nothing really beats that. I'm so thankful for the technology that lets me enjoy these special moments. I shouldn't get to experience this being as far away as I am, and yet I do, amazing!


No comments: