December 18, 2012

Home away from home

In a couple days I'm going home for the first time since I left. Wow, it's been so long that it doesn't feel real, but it is definitely time for a visit. When I arrived almost a year and a half ago, Trondheim was not home. But a lot has happened since then and now it's hard to remember what the place I left is like. It's a great feeling to be able to say that Trondheim is a second home now. I have my everyday life here and I'm in a groove. If/when I say goodbye next summer, it won't be easy.

Here's some things I like about living here:

-People (at least most of the ones I know) prioritize spending time with each other. Egos are not built around schedules and productivity as much as they are in the US. It's possible to call someone up and have dinner together the day of. I don't remember it being quite like that at home. I am blessed to have made great friends and have wonderful relatives who take time together seriously.

-I feel safe. There is very little crime here, at least comparatively, and it's not something I worry about. While I still have to be smart and aware of my surroundings, there isn't an area of town I walk through regularly and think, "I shouldn't be here." Can't say that about Seattle.

-I think I'm growing, and hopefully maturing, in ways I wouldn't have at home. There's just something about moving that far away that will do that to you.

That being said, there are some things I really miss because I'm here. The first is family and friends. It's hard to not be a part of my family as much as I'd like to be. I wish I could have it all: live life fully here and also be able to develop the relationships back home more. But I wouldn't have the good relationships I have here if I was always Skyping with those at home. By choosing one place, I'm automatically not choosing another. It's difficult, but I'm trying to live in the present and invest my time wisely here. Anything else would be wasting an amazing opportunity.

I'm really looking forward to time to dedicate to just being with my family and good friends. I've been wondering a lot lately, who knows me better? The people who've known me since I've been here, or the people who've known me before I came? It's gonna be interesting...

Other reasons I'm excited to go home :
-Seattle. It's a beautiful place, and I miss having a big city nearby.
-Eating. My mom's cooking, going out for real Mexican food, sandwiches with two slices of bread.
-Driving. I walk most places here and that is great. I can take the bus if I need to and I don't need a car here in my everyday life, but I miss driving. 
-Daylight. I'm sure it's pretty dark there right now, but not as dark as here!

So, as I am kind of partially Norwegian now, you'll have to be patient with me on a few things. Like thinking in the Fahrenheit scale and US dollars again. And please don't laugh too hard when I can't think of the English word for something (happens often now)... I'm sure I'll be back to normal by the end of my trip, just in time to go "home" again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah, more tears from your mor oxox