April 23, 2012

Home is where The Needle is

I just heard it was the Space Needle's 50th birthday a few days ago, wow! While I'm super glad and thankful to have to the opportunity to live in another place, I still love and miss my city. Not the city itself, but the familiarity and the people in it that have made it home. And Dick's burgers, I miss those too. Ah, sacrifices.


Asian Me and the Space Needle, circa 2006

I've been here eight, almost nine months, and lately a visit home before next year sounds nice. I have no idea if that will happen, but if the opportunity arose, why not? I wouldn't say I'm homesick, just that I'm a little nostalgic for America right now. I'm coming to grips with the fact that, though it would be cool to be purely Norwegian, I am an American, and can't just erase that from my being. The U.S. can seem strange and foreign when you're away for a while, which is probably a good thing to experience, but it's also OK to miss it. It's home, and home is always a special place.


A few Americans I've met are dying to get back stateside, but I feel pretty un-homesick compared to most of them. I think that has to do with a several things, like learning to be content wherever I am and not worrying about what I would be doing were I somewhere else. Living here means developing familiarity with a new place and relationships with new people. These things take time to do, but before my eyes, I have a second home. Even though I am focused on life here, I really look forward to seeing my family and good friends once again, whenever that happens. I keep imagining how special, yet hopefully normal, it will be. It will be exciting to see what's the same and what's changed, with them and me.


Even though I probably won't be back soon, something just as good is happening: Home is coming to me! Next weekend I will get my first visit in Norway from someone back home. My cousin, Kirsten, and her husband will be in Oslo on partly work-related matters, and I get to hang out with them for a few days. I'm excited about that, to be able to see them in person and catch up, and for them to experience a little bit of Norway. Should be a good time, a great time if they could smuggle a hot Dick's Deluxe across the borders.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey kath,

so glad to hear that you are enjoying your time in norway and not feeling too homesick. it's funning that you mention the space needle and its 50th anniversary. in honor of it, they've painted the observation deck the original color--a super awesome bright orange. it's... interesting.

i miss you a lot! i love reading about your norwegian adventures and all of the awesome experiences you get to have. are you planning to travel at all this summer? i'm headed to europe in june--the netherlands, germany, austria, switzerland, france, and england--so if you plan to travel around that time and will be around those parts, let me know! i'd love to see you :)

-meara

Kathleen said...

Hey Meara, great to hear from you! I have no set summer plans yet, everything is up in the air at the moment... will facebook you soon. It would be awesome to see you!